Saturday, November 19, 2005

yesterday, today, and four days after tomorrow

I called in sick yesterday, as I've been sick for a couple of days. It was nice to just sit in the sun, watch the Food Network or Discovery Channel (my two favorites!), read a random blog that I linked to from a friend's account that I'm growing sickly addicted to, and just doing nothing. I am feeling much better, thank you.

Last night, I continued the relaxed pace, instead of going drinking for a friend's b-day. I didn't really have it in me, and a girls' night was just what was in order. It was the first time all of us (local) girls were able to get together. We went to M's house and had sushi, baked the triple chocolate cookies (better the first time for some reason, but still good!), watched Happy Endings and a few Sex in the City episodes from the first season. We stayed up until 2, and it was such a good night. Then I slept in this morning, which was also fabulous.

Today, I have started to unpack some of my dishes, etc. as my roommate is moving in with her boyfriend. I look forward to living a settled life again, as things feel so up in the air right now. (I also look forward to feeling 100% better... Rob's being sicker (worse off than I) is no help either. So demanding, aren't I???)

Tonight, we are going to a friend's for a surprise menu. We've been asked to bring a cushion each (not a huge apartment, and she's having 13 people over!), and she has said that the dress is semi-formal. Interesting. Of course, we're expected to bring some wine as well.

Random thought process from last night: it is amazing how accustomed we are to Christianity. A friend was saying how her bf (Jewish) was perhaps uncomfortable going to her family's for xmas, as he would be the only non-Christian. I said that I could understand that, but said that at least he would know most of what was going on... I found it very hard going to my ex's for Passover, as I really had no clue what to do and when. (It also didn't help that his Grandmother decided that she wasn't going to talk to me, because I'm Muslim - really great experience, I must say. Thankfully, I can't imagine anyone in my family doing such a thing, let alone one of my Grandmothers!) I said that anyone who grew up in the US knows so many Christian rituals from school and society, so it makes the transition for a non-Christian to a Christian home (holiday) much easier. The response was that there are so many more rituals that take place for Passover (or in Judaism) that it doesn't quite compare... but as I was falling asleep, I thought about all the rituals that we know from xmas, and we don't even think about. The gift giving, a traditional xmas dinner, ALL the xmas songs - imagine going to someone's house and not knowing "Jingle Bells!," midnight mass (which I've never attended), the stockings, the tree (and putting gifts under it) and the star/angel on top, the fact that it's considered Jesus' birthday, and so on. That's a lot to know about a holiday - especially as a non-Christian! I guess it's good in a way (easier for me to date someone Christian - as I am doing now), but a little sad at the same time.

My official guess for where we fly Thursday night: Prague. Let's see if I'm wrong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home