Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Is Book Club Dying??

It's been a two year run... I can't believe it's lasted so long, but I'm worried that our book club may be suffering a slow death. The next few book clubs may reveal the path that our book club is destined to travel... I hope it continues. I've read so many books that I never would have read on my own; tonight's book is just one example of that (1776by David McCullough.) My mom was surprised to hear that we're still doing it, because she thought it would be a passing phase for some reason. She was actually really pleased to hear it, which was nice. I hadn't talked to her in a week, so it was good to catch up a bit.

So something I've been wondering about lately is how it's possible for some gays or lesbians to question the existence of bi-sexuality. Being gay is questioned so frequently and strongly that I am surprised that someone who is gay would question anther in the same way. In fact, I feel like most gays or lesbians I've spoken with do not believe bi-sexuality exists, and think it is a result of people just playing around with simply a sexual response, rather than the emotional (preference) that they experience. I can't help but feel that this view of bi-sexuality is sometimes as though they feel threatened by bi-sexuality... and I can see why that could be: presenting the idea that there could be a choice in the decision of sexuality, opens doors to the arguments that some are simply choosing to be gay. Personally, I think everyone is bi- to some extent. I view sexuality as a spectrum, rather than one of a few options. I guess I'm just willing to admit that out of the 3 billion women on this planet that there may be one who exists that I would be interested in having a relationship with... I have yet to meet that woman, but I can see that such a thing is possible, I guess.

2 Comments:

Blogger BS said...

Re: Bookclub. Have we all just become so much more busy than we used to be? I feel like I can never make it because I have another event, not because I have no time to read the book.

Re: Sexuality. I totally agree with the spectrum idea, but it still seems culturally acceptable only for women to admit this.

10:57 PM  
Blogger Nee said...

I don't know what's up with bookclub... however, our new roommie was in one for 5 years (in NY), so we may have a new recruit!

7:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home