Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Vegetarian (easily Vegan) chili

Book club went well. I think we're in need of a book that we all overwhelmingly love... or perhaps one that we're all drawn to but really hate at the same time. I feel like that could be a super interesting conversation.

I made some spice cake (out of a box) with cream cheese icing (out of cannister.) It was quite good. I also had some cheese and crackers - camembert, goat cheese, and havarti dill. Mind you, I hate goat cheese, but I feel like many of my friends feel somehow deprived of goat cheese with me around, so I thought I would buy some. Even looking at it makes me feel sick. I can't believe that a friend of mine thinks it's weird that I don't like goat cheese or lamb; is that really that weird? I feel like a lot of people think they are horrid along with me. (ok - I have had good lamb once and ok lamb once... but never good goat cheese.)

The best food of the evening, however, was the vegetarian chili. Rob's ex had us over before and made some veggie chili that I'd never forgotten. She didn't send us the recipe when Rob asked for it (two days ago), so I figured why not look it up and make my own. I am very happy that I did. It was very yummy... and somehow I kept feeling that it was sour, though there was no lemon or anything in it. Nobody else did, but it wasn't a problem for me as sour is my favorite taste of all time.

I have to plan a date to try making the Persian walnut and pomegranate stew. Very yummy, and so different from anything in any cuisine I've ever tried, that I think it will be fun to make and have everyone try. I feel like you're going to have an opinion about that dish - you either like it or don't. It's probably one of those dishes that I can totally handle people's opinions on... and everyone can hate it. It will be very different to the American palate, which is what makes it so interesting to me.

Ok, I really need to pack for leaving for PR tomorrow. I hope the weather improves some... I hope I get my bathing suit in time! Have to pick it up from UPS tomorrow. I may have to get up early and pack... I hate that I procrastinate and yet I can't get away from it...................

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmmmmmm, so good vegan chili.

12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home