Saturday, April 29, 2006

Love Being a Heathen

Well, it finally happened. Last night, we went to the Thirsty Scholar to celebrate one of the people in Rob's lab getting her doctorate. But this is not what finally happened... one of her friend's friends who recently moved up here from Dallas, TX to go to the Divinity School sat next to me. Not too strangely I guess, she prompted me to talk about my views on religion. I don't quite remember what we were speaking about (alcohol can do that), but I definitely remember her saying, "Well, tell me a little more about what you think..." Then that lovely little voice in the back of my head goes, "Oh boy... can't wait to see what I'm in for!"

So what happened? Well, she was the first person to ever truly try and convert me! Whenever I said, "I don't know, I just think we should be good to each other," she would say - "You know, the answers you are looking for are available in the Bible. May I suggest the Gospel of Matthew?" WHAT??? and then she tells me that she has read 3/4 of the Koran, and some of my answers are in there... but not all of them. DUDE - you just told me you've only read 3/4. Maybe the answers are in the other 1/4!! and stop telling me about the son of God - I thought I told you 5 minutes ago that I have an issue with that?? Anyway, it was unbelievable. She had recently told me that she went to India... and how before India, she would try to take part in politically active volunteer issues that were not faith based, as she thought people should be at liberty to pick what they want and have that freedom... but after seeing a country living based on a "man-made religion" (you've no idea how many times she said that), she realized that maybe Christ had a place in American politics. Oh man - I was boiling! Who decides which religion is a "man-made" religion? and don't tell me the Bible is the word of God, because even the Bible doesn't say that! I did want to point out to her that the Koran does say that it's directly the words of God... but would it even matter? No, of course not. anyway, it was a little shocking. She took my e-mail address (how could I not give it?) and said that she would be more than happy to do some "readings with me" and "seriously - I would enjoy it." Of course you would enjoy it - you're trying to get your butt into heaven! and perhaps mine too, but please just leave me alone! I'm happy as I am!!! Of course, she did say that I brought up a lot of "controversial issues" that are definitely challenging to think about - homosexuality, the human need to punish sins rather than waiting for God to take care of his business, and my inability to accept a God who would banish Native Americans, etc. to hell because his "son" couldn't get around to letting them know what religion to follow. Of course - Rob was not a fan... the little clips he overheard were enough to get him angry. oh well. I guess it was interesting and somewhat entertaining in the end...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home