Thursday, April 27, 2006

WOW

Luis called earlier from the package receiving room at work and says the usual, "Nelly, I have a package for you." I sit and think... and think... and can't think of what it is... I tell him, "Luis, I have no idea what it is... maybe one of my teachers has gotten me a gift! What's the box look like??" (Luis obviously likes me and has patience for me, because who would normally entertain such questions?!?) He says, "It's a big, slender box."

Well, all I heard was BIG. How exciting... but what could it be?!? So I tell him I'd be right down, and I rushed to the elevators. I go into the receiving room with its familiar music, and I say, "Luis, what can it be?? It is big." And he says, "I don't know. Maybe it's your wedding dress." And he laughs.

Here's the crazy thing - he doesn't know I'm engaged even, and it IS my wedding dress! How could I forget that I gave them the address and everything on Monday?? I needed somebody to sign for it. So, of course, I gasp and say, "But Luis, it IS my wedding dress! How exciting!"

So Luis turns a bit red... thinks perhaps I'm crazy, as I grab the box and run up to my desk wondering if I can open it at work... and wondering how I can get the box home considering that I'm going to the Alvin Ailey dance show tonight. I run out in the security area of the lobby and run into Elizabeth and Henry, and tell them my little funny story. Go up the elevators with Elizabeth - we grabbed Kathy and Kate and ran to the copy room (bathroom just didn't seem right) and pulled out the dress - and it's BEAUTIFUL! I love it!!!

Then Alison took me home for "lunch" and I tried on the dress with her help - because I definitely can't do it on my own. It's so fabulous. It's strange... one expensive dress that will require steaming and maybe even cleaning and some tailoring before the wedding, and then I'll never wear it again. But really... it's the only thing that has made this whole thing seem real. Trying it on again - as my very own dress was so exciting. Definitely the best lunch break I've ever had. What a wonderful day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home