Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Maybe I should move to a tropical country...

It's finally October... the last nice month of the season. Then it's basically winter from November - April, although November, March, and April can offer some great days. The most miserable month is February... the snow on the ground is dirty, and you're just so sick of snow by then! It's still brutally cold, and all you can think about is going somewhere sunny. Actually, that's why a I promised myself (a couple of years ago) that I'd go somewhere warm every February, if at all possible (Miami last year.)

I know I keep writing about Rob and the Farsi lessons, but it's just so interesting to me. Right now, he's sitting next to me, hurriedly trying to finish his homework. It's quite a work load actually, especially as it's difficult to remember all the new letters, etc. for him (or anyone, really.) I can barely remember what I learned in Japanese class last night. I definitely have to review it again today. What's really strange about Farsi is that I've never thought about the grammatical structure of sentences. I just know it... and when Rob asks me questions, it really makes me have to think about it. It's so strange to have the speaking of the language so ingrained in me... the only grammatical thing I am very aware of about in Farsi is that the verb comes at the end of the sentence. This can be difficult at times. :)

Verbs also come at the end of the sentence in Japanese. (Interesting point to think about - as a translater, going from Japanese to English is rather difficult, as you have to wait for the verb at the end of the sentence to know what is happening. Going vice versa, English to Japanese, is much easier.) Japanese class was interesting last night. I knew that it wouldn't be a true beginner's class, as it's basically Japanese for busy people. For a free class, who can complain? I'm just taking it to learn a little bit before going to Japan next summer. Actually, I should talk to my sister about that - maybe 2007 would be better? It would give my little sister's friends more time to be able to pay for the trip, in case they want to go as well. Maybe Rob could go then as well. :)

Speaking of languages... I feel like I want to learn another one. I'm considering German. French has never really appealed to me for whatever reason, and Italian and Portuguese are too close to Spanish. I certainly don't want to mess with my Spanish. Japanese is an interesting possibility - I'm going to have to see how I like it after a these classes. Of course, I haven't actually thought about how I'm going to go and learn this other language.... Languages have just been so useful to me, and the relief/excitement I see on others' faces when I speak their language makes me happy. Plus, language has contributed so much to my travel experiences. We'll see... it would definitely be neat to speak 4 languages. ;p

James is in town... flew in from Ohio last night. He's going to stay with us tonight, as he has an interview in Boston tomorrow afternoon. We'll probably watch the Sox game tonight, and perhaps go out for a beer afterwards. Hopefully, it'll be a good game.

Last night I went to Gargoyle's with Anna, Frances, Robin, and Kate. We had drinks and ate from the bar menu. It was good... the fusion plate came with a crazy amount of dessert for only $12. It had like 10 different desserts on it? A lemon neopolitan, tiramisu, chocolate dipped apricots stuffed with marzipan, ginger snap ice cream sandwhiches, a fillo dough pastry, strawberries with a cream and boisenberry, two little things of (warm) apple crisp, two raspberry frappe things, and I don't even remember what else. The cheese pick plate was also really good, and my drink, the Hot Tub, was also very yummy. I'm definitely going back some time, especially to try what Anna got - lobster mac' and cheese.

Time to get ready for work... hopefully it won't be another very long day. I've been exhausted lately, probably because I haven't had a weekend of break in about a month.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home