Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Vitamin D

I can't stop thinking about it... just got my bloodwork results last week (from a physical), and I am insanely Vitamin D deficient. The sheet says you're supposed to be between 32-100 (don't ask me the measurement units). Some would say that you should be between 25-100, especially considering that most people north of DC/San Francisco line are Vitamin D deficient in the winter. Then I read somewhere that under 12 is considered extremely deficient and a cause for concern. Me < 7. I am concerned.

Along with this information, there was a statement from my Doc saying that I had to take 10,000 IU a day of Vitamin D and follow up in 6 months. I went to the store, and the recommended daily amount is 400 IU. NOBODY sells anywhere near 10,000 IU tablets... apparently Costco sells 1,000 IU tablets, but am I really expected to take 10 of those a day? (Uncoated pills too - yuck!)Plus, I felt like 10,000 IU a day had to be toxic. Fortunately, I have a brain and looked this up.

Based on what I found, I called the doctor's office and here is how the conversation went:

Me: What is going on here? These amounts don't make sense to me.
Nurse: Did you not get the prescription in the mail?
Me: Uh, no.
Nurse: Oops! I'll call one in to a pharmacy for you. Which is convenient for you.
Me: Why, thank you! Broadway QFC would be great. Oh and, I really take them once a day?
Nurse: Oh, the once a day was a typo. It's once a week.
Me: Good to know. Thanks. Bye. Have a nice life. Thanks for trying to kill me.

What if I had just taken 10 a day? Geez. Fortunately, I read about Vitamin D overdoses - not pretty. That's why I called in the first place. If I'd ended up with renal failure (I'm sure even someone without a brain would not have progressed to this point!), I would have been pissed... to say the least.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

ha, glad you got that sorted out and don't OD on vitamin D.
i looked up the same stuff you did when my doc tried to get me to take a huge RX dose - and my level was about 22, barely low, eh, not worth it

7:50 PM  
Blogger Nee said...

Of course they haven't yet called in the prescription. Annoying.

10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home