Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Putting your life in the hands of another...

It's so strange. R has 2-5 interviews a week, and I am just sitting here waiting. Will we have to move? Will he get this job? Will he be working 50, 70, or 100 hours a week? How much will he be paid?

He's currently at an interview for a big consulting company - what we've decided is the most desirable job for him to get. Of course, there are about 200 PhD candidates alone interviewing for about 5 jobs in the Boston office (and all Ivy League, so they can afford to be snooty!) Of course, all candidates are pretty much qualified too. I can't imagine being an interviewer for a company with a draw like that. It must be difficult - no wonder little things get you knocked out. The first round was a test for crying out loud! He was doing practice GMATs to get ready.

It's strange, because our roommate is almost in the same situation. Her bf, however, already has an offer from this consulting company - he worked there before and he's coming out of HBS, so their interviewing times, etc. are a little different. Our roommate has to decide between the Atlanta and DC office, and they're not engaged, so it makes it a even more stressful for her. She and I also discussed the discomfort that would come from having such disparate salaries from our sig other.

If we get to the point of choosing between cities , it would probably be between Seattle, San Fran, NYC and Boston. If it weren't for my sister (possibly sisters and therefore my mom and dad too), San Fran wouldn't even be on the list... but it is and with very compelling reasons to go. Too much to think about! and this is before we have any offers on the table.

I'm confident that he will get a job - but who knows where and doing what? How often will I see my husband once he starts working?? For now, I just sit and wait... but I wonder: where will I be in a year?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home