Thursday, September 01, 2005

Must I really name all my posts?

I do not think of myself as a particularly creative person. Having to name these posts is mildly annoying. I can't figure out how to change the name of this blog even, but I guess it does express my thoughts about starting this blog... if only I could take that feeling and address it to some other situations in my life - mainly my job.

They asked at work yesterday how we describe our job... I always say I work with teachers who take their students abroad. I help keep them organized, and I motivate them to keep working/recruiting towards their goal - going abroad! (That would keep me quite motivated by itself. I love traveling!) The one thing that really resonates with me is that I can also say that I do something that I have no reason to feel guilty about. I "sell dreams." and I do think working towards sending all American children abroad is something that can change the world in a positive way. I'm sure everyone can think of someone they wished had gone abroad at some point or even gone abroad earlier... and, if you can't, then perhaps you've never been. ;p

Last night I went out for Restaurant Week to Cafe Umbra. It was ok... not amazing. I would not go back for their price.

What is restaurant week? Only one of my favorite weeks in Boston! prix fixe menus for really great prices - 3 course meal. app, main course, dessert. $30.05 for dinner, $20.05 for lunch. and mainly only fairly expensive restaurants take part. Locke Ober and Spire on on my list to go to for next year... tonight I am going to Torch with a friend and her bf and Rob, and Sunday going to Pigalle with Rob and a friend of his visiting from Sweden. Should be FABULOUS.

Actually, it's not restaurant week this week... some restaurants extend the menu for 1-2 weeks afterwards. During actual restaurant week I went to Masa one night and 209 Restaurant another night. Both were very good, and I would return. To go back to Cafe Umbra... nothing was spectacular... although they did have a toffee pudding that was AMAZING. I had to pay $3.50 for ice cream on the side though. They had their whole menu on the list, and they added a supplement to a lot of dishes if you wanted it. I found that a little disappointing... most places only have 3 choices per dish, but there is never a supplement... Pigalle is also doing the supplement thing. I don't know, it rubbed me the wrong way. and then for the food to not blow you away just made it such that I wouldn't go back. well, as one of the girls said last night... if somebody else was paying to take me, yes I would go. not that I would let Rob pay to take me there... much better options than that!

ooh! I discovered the dirty vodka martini last night. This may be my new drink. One of the girls, R, got one... she gets them all the time. I figured I love olives and I like vodka, so maybe it was time to go for a sip. and I loved it. I think I am going to order them every now and then from now on... although, I totally realize that I have to very careful drinking if I do. I have a strangely low tolerance - which is a good thing. It's cheaper... although sometimes it can hurry me towards not feeling that great, which is definitely not a good thing.

can you tell i'm a talkative person? i keep so much out of here... and it's weird. typing and my writing with a pen are kind of similar. when i'm writing with a pen, my style keeps changing from fairly neat to quite messy and so on... when I am typing, I keep going from good grammar to bad grammar. I guess if I know that I am using bad grammar, it isn't such a big deal. perhaps it gives an idea of my thoughts at the moment? I don't know... I'm really just b/s-ing there. I do love grammar though. I really liked it in high school, and it still annoys me to see bad grammar from others. (hypocrite! I know) Actually, the main grammar mistake I really hate is with using "I and me." It's "between you and me" people! not "you and I!" It's "picture of blank and me!" not "of blank and I!"

Ok, now that I've thrown my fit and nobody is ever going to see this, so it won't make a difference... I think I can get on with my day. Time to shower, get dressed, and get to work. 10:30-7. 7:30 reservation at Torch, but I think it's in Beacon Hill, which gives me plenty of time to walk there from work. Plus, then I'll feel less guilty about all this indulging in rich yummy foods... esp. as I have been SO bad about the gym lately. I can't find my gym card. I think it's time to give in and just ask them for a new one... or not feel guilty about using my license to go for awhile. The thing is... I think I really lost it, or probably left it at the gym in the locker (you can only take out the key to lock the freaking thing if your card is in there - totally increases my chances of forgetting the card before I leave... have nearly done it numerous times.)

ok, time to get ready.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home